Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Week Four: Setting, Style & Symbol




We read:
  1. "Shiloh" by Bobbie Ann Mason
  2. "A Party Down at the Square" by Ralph Ellison
  3. "This Is What It Means to Say Phoenix, Arizona" by Sherman Alexie
We watched:
  1. Buldoc-Simpson's Setting in Stories Presentation
  2. YouTube videos on Smoke Signals
I loved the in class work we did, and although it didn't go so smoothly, it was totally worth it. We all sent prepared questions, via text message, to an online forum and then in groups, we answered each others' questions. I thought it was amazing how many great questions were asked and how much I understood the stories after the discussion.
I wrote a response to the YouTube video "How Do We Forgive Our Fathers" and I got really into water as a symbol. I have never seen the movie but the clip, attached below was so powerful to me. I couldn't believe how universal and well put that exerpt was. I grew up in a single parent household so I was initially critical and apprehensive. It made me think that forgiveness is the first step to healing.
Below is a YouTube video of the song "Two Words" by Kanye West, Mos Def, and Freeway because I think it embodies some of the best of hip hop today and the content, style and rhyme is all very well executed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKUHPxqliiY

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. Yeah, it didn't go as smoothly as I had imagined it in my mind. Did you know you can embed your YouTube directly into the blog by going to your video and looking on the righthand side. You will see the embed code to copy and paste into your blog.
    Foregiveness is indeed the first step to healing.

    ReplyDelete